Have you just gotten braces and are worried about the impact it might have on your oral hygiene routine? Wearing braces can be an exciting journey towards a straighter smile, but it does require extra care to keep your teeth healthy. From brushing techniques to choosing the right foods, this blog post will guide you through some essential tips and tricks for maintaining good oral health while wearing braces. So let’s get started!
Benefits of Proper Braces Care
If you have braces, it is important to take extra care of your teeth and gums. Proper care of your braces will help ensure that your treatment is effective and will minimize the risk of complications. Here are some tips for caring for your teeth while wearing braces:
Brush regularly and thoroughly: Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day, and more if necessary. When brushing, be sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste designed for people with braces. Use gentle circular motions to avoid damaging your gums.
Floss daily: Flossing is just as important as brushing when you have braces. Use a floss threader or water flosser to get between your teeth and under your gum line.
Avoid hard foods: Hard foods can damage your braces and cause pain. Avoid crunchy fruits and vegetables, hard candy, nuts, ice, etc. If you do eat hard foods, be sure to bite into them carefully and cut them into small pieces.
Visit your orthodontist regularly: Be sure to keep all of your scheduled appointments with your orthodontist. They will check on the progress of your treatment and make any necessary adjustments.
How to Brush and Floss with Braces
It’s important to brush and floss your teeth properly, even when you have braces. Here are some tips on how to do it
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste recommended by your orthodontist.
- Gently brush all surfaces of your teeth, including the gum line.
- Use a floss threader to help you floss around your braces.
- Be sure to floss under the wire of your braces every day.
- Rinse your mouth with water after brushing and flossing.
Foods to Avoid While Wearing Braces
There are certain foods that you should avoid while wearing braces in order to prevent damage to your teeth and brackets. These include hard candies, nuts, gum, popcorn, ice, and chewy or sticky sweets. You should also avoid biting into hard objects like apples or carrots, as well as chewing on hard surfaces like fingernails or pencils.
Tips for Taking Care of Your Teeth & Braces
Assuming you already have a basic oral hygiene routine down, here are a few tips to help you take care of your teeth and braces:
- Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day, and floss at least once a day. It’s important to remove plaque and food particles from around your braces, as well as under the wire. You can use an interdental toothbrush or floss threaders to help get in those hard-to-reach areas.
- Rinse your mouth with water after every meal. This will help remove any food particles that may be stuck in your braces.
- Avoid hard and chewy foods that can damage your braces, such as candy, gum, nuts, etc. Cut up fruits and vegetables into smaller pieces so they’re easier to eat without putting too much pressure on your braces.
- See your orthodontist for regular checkups and adjustments. They’ll be able to spot any potential problems early on and make any necessary changes to keep you on track for a successful treatment plan.
The Bottom Line
To ensure your teeth stay healthy while wearing braces, it’s important to practice good oral hygiene habits. Make sure to brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day. Don’t forget to use an antibacterial mouth rinse and make regular appointments with the orthodontist for check-ups and adjustments. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to keep your smile looking great even with braces on!